Professional Scale and Clean
Professional Scale and Clean Port Macquarie
Did you know that daily brushing and flossing is not enough to remove plaque and tartar? Only a professional scale and clean can do that.
A professional dental clean, or a scale and clean, is the removal of soft and hard plaque, and stains that cannot be removed with regular tooth brushing at home. Scaling and cleaning prevents tooth decay and gum disease and is recommended each six months.
Benefits of Professional Scale and Clean
Enjoy brighter and shinier teeth. Over time, calculus can build up on your teeth. Your professional scale and clean removes all hardened calculus before your teeth are carefully polished, lifting some surface stains.
Better gum health. Calculus contains infection-causing bacteria and removing it reduces your risk of gum disease.
Fresher breath. After having your teeth professionally cleaned, you will notice your mouth feels extremely clean, and your breath smells extra fresh.
Protect your general health. Gum disease has been related to many serious health conditions, including diabetes, heart disease and even dementia and certain cancers. A professional scale and clean is an effortless way to reduce your risk.
Preventive care is cheaper. Over time, it’s far cheaper to prevent dental diseases than to treat it and attending regular hygiene appointments can reduce your dental bills.
You might need a Professional Scale and Clean if you…
- have plaque or calculus build-up on your teeth that can’t be removed by daily brushing and flossing
- want to take preventive measures to take care of your teeth
- want to clean teeth stained from smoking and using other tobacco products
- have teeth stained from drinks such as coffee, tea or red wine
- have jaw joint pain
Professional Scale and Clean Procedure
At Port Macquarie Dental Centre, you will get a caring and custom teeth cleaning and scaling that is usually completed in an hour.
The procedure includes the following steps:
- Before starting the scale and clean, our dentists will complete a quick dental check-up to ensure that you don’t have any serious dental issues.
- After the dental check-up, we will use ultrasonic cleaning equipment to access the pockets and places below the gumline to remove plaque. Note that the equipment can reach and clean all the areas that are hard to reach for your toothbrush.
- We will scale and clean your top jaw – both front and back – then move to your bottom jaw – front and back – to complete the process. This structured approach ensures that no places are left without scaling and cleaning.
- You will also get a fluoride treatment, a gum check-up along with the scaling and cleaning process.
- You can also choose a root planing treatment along with scaling so your gums can be reattached to your teeth.
During the root planing process, your tooth surfaces will be smoothed by dentists that allow the gum tissue to heal itself and reattach to your teeth.
Your dentist may advise you to undergo a special dental routine to ensure quick healing.
Root planing may require an additional visit to our clinic and need to administer a local anaesthetic to numb the area.