How to Overcome Dental Fear — Tips from Port Macquarie Dental Centre
Is it time for your dental appointment?
Do you feel like missing out on seeing your dentist again?
If you feel scared seeing your dentist, you’re not alone. For some patients, seeing a dentist can trigger anxiety and some even avoid going to the dentist.
A lot of people experience dental fear. They feel hesitant to see the dentist because of past experiences, low pain threshold, embarrassment or feeling of being trapped.
Common Causes of Dental Fear
There are many different reasons why patients might have a fear of the dentist.
- Fear of pain
- Fear of needles
- Fear of losing control or feeling helpless
- Fear of losing personal space
- Embarrassment over bad oral health
- Bad childhood experience at the dentist’s office
Tips to Overcome Dental Fear
Whether you’re ready to conquer your fear or getting ready to see the dentist, the following tips can help you stay calm during your dental appointment:
- Visit your dentist at a less busy time of day, such as morning. There will be fewer people and lesser equipment making noises that could trigger your fear.
- Wear noise-cancelling headphones or earbuds. Listen to music to help you relax.
- Ask a friend or loved one to accompany you during your dental appointment.
- Practise deep breathing and other meditation techniques to relax your nerves.
Above everything else, know that it’s alright if you need to take a break at any point during your dental visit. It is also helpful to set a “signal” with your dentist, so they know when to stop.
You can either continue with your visit when you’re ready or return on another day when you feel better.
Overcome Dental Fear with your Trusted Port Macquarie Dentist
Do you know that even the most fearful person can become the bravest after facing their fears?
With a little help, your Port Macquarie dentist can make the world a better place. One smile at a time.
Take time to overcome your fear, one dental visit at a time.
When it comes to dental fear and anxiety, your friendly dentist in Port Macquarie can help you deal with your concerns by giving the best solution you ever need.
Your dental care partners here at Port Macquarie Dental Centre aim to offer you a comfortable and pain-free dental experience whenever you visit us.
For more information, call us on (02) 6583 1711 or request your appointment online.
We are located at 38 Buller St in Port Macquarie.